People/Web Search Calendar Emergency Info A-Z Index UVA Email   University of Virginia    

Welcome New Graduate Students!

Welcome to The Systems and Information Engineering Department at the University of Virginia. On this page, you will find information to help with your transition to graduate school and to Charlottesville. Please feel free to contact us and to ask questions!

You can find the current orientation schedule here. Check back often as we are still in the process of updating events.

Mandatory International Student ISO Orientation
All new international students holding all non-immigrant statuses are required to bring their legal documents and proof of the orientation quiz completion to the ISO upon your arrival in Charlottesville. This is required so that the ISO can determine your legal status and make copies for our records as required by U.S. law. You can find all of the information on this on the International Students & Scholars website.


  1. UVA Graduate Housing
  2. UVA Off-Grounds Housing Service
  3. Blue Ridge Apartment Council
  4. University Classified Ads
  5. Craig's List

ID Numbers
Each student will receive (3) different ID's at the University. The first is your Computer ID which will also be your email address (followed by The second ID will be your University ID. This ID number will appear on your ID card and be the one you will use the most on grounds. The third ID number is your SIS ID which the administration will use for your class registration, grading, transcript, and other official functions. You can find all three IDs in your Student Center in SIS. You can obtain your University ID Card after you register at the ID Card Office, Observatory Hill Dining Hall, during normal business hours.

Activate UVA Email Account & Systems Access
You will need to follow the procedures listed here to gain access to your email account and other university systems such as UVA Collab and the Student Information System (SIS).

All UVA students must have health insurance and must complete the Health Insurance Hard Waiver. Students receiving funding will be provided with health insurance through the University. You will need to sign up for this once you arrive and need to sign up each year in August. If you are not receiving funding you may also sign up, but will have to pay for your premium. All students may add dental insurance that can be purchased separately. This premium is not paid by UVA. Visit the following links for more information and to sign up:

  1. Student Health: Information for New Students
  2. AETNA: UVA Student Health Insurance Website
  3. UVA's Health Insurance Hard Waiver Requirement

If you are receiving Financial Aid in the form of a GTA or GRA position, please obtain a Social Security Card as soon as possible.  When you have that card, please see Joan Wicks ( on 3rd Floor Thornton Hall (A205) A-Wing in the business office to complete your payroll paperwork. You’ll need to bring a U.S. social security card or U.S. birth certificate. Complete instructions can be found at the payroll paperwork link. For more information please visit the SEAS GRA/GTA Human Resources page.

It may be as late as Oct. 1 before you receive a paycheck so try to bring enough money to last for 6 weeks.

Social Security Card
This is a VERY important step for International students! As soon as possible, you will need to get a social security card by taking their passport to the address below. This will need to be done before you will be allowed to receiving any type of payment.
1470 Pantops Mountain Place
Charlottesville, VA 22911
(800) 772-1213
(434) 295-1144

U.S. Bank Checking Account
You need a checking account at a U.S. bank in order to receive your stipend payments. If you do not have one, visit a local bank (list here) and open a bank account before you fill out your payroll paperwork. Once you have done that you will need to go see Joan Wicks in Thornton A205, where you will fill out several forms. Be sure to provide proof of a bank account in the form of a canceled or blank check. You will also need to bring your U.S. Social Security Card, as well as your passport and/or other identifying documents. If you have any questions, you can email Joan directly before you go up to see her:

You will also need to sign up for direct deposit through UVA to receive your stipends. In some cases, you may receive a check, but payments are made through direct deposit: Direct Deposit directions.

English Language Exams
All International Students whose first language is not English are required to take the UVELPE test. If you are going to be a TA in the Fall, you will also have to take the SPEAK test. All of the information on these tests can be found on the Center for American English Language & Culture website.

Other Useful Links
International Studies Office
SEAS Information for Current Graduate Students
Enrolled Student Forms  [transfer credit, committee, proposal and more]
• SEAS Office of Research and Graduate Programs
Graduate Record 2016-2017  refer to this for academic requirements, information about transfer credits, degree programs and more.
UVA Homepage
Student Information System [SIS]
UVA Student Resources page: Lots of links and information here.
Class Search and Course Catalog
Lou’s List of Courses
Student Financial Services [SFS]
UREG – The Registrar’s Office Find add/drop/academic calendars, diploma and transcript information and more here.